MCRS Adoption Events
MCRS Adoption Events are held approximately every 3 weeks throughout the year. The majority of adoptions of MCRS foster bunnies take place at these events. The events usually last about three hours on a Saturday or Sunday and are a lot of fun to attend!
MCRS also works with local shelters to hold rabbit adoption events throughout the year. While most of these events are held during Adopt-A-Rabbit month, there are some held during the rest of the year as well. While MCRS volunteers helps staff these events, the adoptable rabbits are all shelter rabbits looking for homes.
What can you do?
- Meet rabbits! Anywhere from 7 to 15 foster bunnies may be in attendance at each event. If you are thinking about adopting or just want a bunny fix please stop in a visit with the bunnies. Foster homes are often in attendance and can help answer any questions you may have about a specific rabbit's habits or personality. The pre-approved adopters get to select which rabbits attend each event. If you want to meet a specific rabbit, it is best to start the adoption process.
- Ask questions and get answers about rabbits. Several knowledgeable volunteers are always on hand at the Adoption Events to answer questions from other members or the general public about rabbits and rabbit care. We LOVE to talk about how special and wonderful rabbits are! Any question is welcome:) Troubles with litterbox training? No problem. Need help finding a rabbit-savvy vet? We can help. Need tips on how to get your rabbit to eat more hay? We got'em! Just stop by during an event and ask one of our volunteers.
- Learn about the adoption process! While adopters need to be pre-approved to adopt at an event, you can start the process at an event (or anytime!) in order to be able to adopt at a future event.
- Volunteer to help! Would you like to be a part of the fun and excitement at a future Adoption Event or help support other MCRS activities? Check out the list of volunteer opportunities.
- MCRS also accepts donations of money and supplies at these events. Please contact us to see what kinds of supplies we can accept.
What do the bunnies do?
- Exercise, exercise!! That's right; those foster bunnies need to exercise! When not in use for introductions to potential adopters, the exercise pens turn into romper rooms for the foster bunnies :) Each bunny gets a chance to romp and play in the pen either by themselves or with a human friend.
- In addition to getting to meet people, the bunnies may get to meet other bunnies. If an adopter has a rabbit who might want a friend, then the MCRS will chaperone a Bunny Date. What is a bunny date, you ask? Well, rabbits are much like people in that they prefer to choose their live-in companion, and need time to bond with another rabbit. Rabbits have strong opinions about likes and dislikes and it is best to introduce your rabbit to at least three rabbits to determine which has the best potential.
What does the MCRS do?
- We work with pre-screened adopters to help them find the right rabbity companion for their family.
- Exercise pens are set up at the event so that adopters can spend one-on-one time with each rabbit at the rabbit's level. This a great way to see what fun personalities the rabbits have!
- Bunnies are adopted!!! Of course, this is the most important function of our Adoption Events. We love finding happy, forever homes for our adorable foster bunnies, and most adoptions occur at these events. It is a wonderful sight to see a happy person or family as they excitedly complete the paperwork for their new companion.
- MCRS volunteers are on hand to assist new adopters in selecting necessary items at the PETCO store for their new companion.
- Nail trims, grooming and scent gland cleanings. Although not a favorite amongst the bunnies, these important tasks can often be seen taking place at the events.
- "The Great MCRS Swap Meet" Since the MCRS does not have a facility, our volunteers often meet each other at the adoption events to pick up or drop off supplies, move a foster rabbit to a new foster home, or to drop off or return items left at a previous MCRS event.