Educating at Every Opportunity Education is one of the main missions of MCRS. Ingrid Harding, MCRS Director of Education, shares what MCRS has done in this area, what we hope to do in the future, and why education is such an important part of our organization.
Educating can be done formally, as an official MCRS representative, and informally, as a bunny companion. Every time you tell a story about something that your rabbit (or a rabbit you know) did, you are teaching people that bunnies are not boring. How else can you "Everyday Educate"? A few examples are listed here, but if you want more detail, read an article from a past newsletter.
- Keep a picture of your bunny on your desk at work; especially if the bunny is being a house bunny (i.e., not in a cage and not obviously posed).
- Wear a t-shirt or sweatshirt that talks about bunnies being all-year pets or advertises MCRS.
- Tell stories about your bunny or a bunny you know.
- When shopping for supplies at the pet supply store, speak up if you see someone looking confused in the bunny aisle. "My bunny likes..." and "Do you have a bunny?" are great conversation starters.
- Talk to people who are thinking about getting a rabbit. Be sure to let them know that in addition to being cute, bunnies can be a lot of work and are not always cuddly and sweet.